I read a post by sewaholic here which really struck a cord. Too much frosting – fun, frivolous sewing- and not enough cake-solid staples. Hand up here. Definitely guilty. But even cake is too yummy a description for the uninspiring basics of children’s sewing. It’s less cake, more meat and potatoes. Essential, needed but basically it’s something you need to get through before the fun stuff starts.
So Elsa has wardrobe full of fun dresses and I put her to bed at night in PJs that stop above her ankle. Easy enough to fix. All I need is the motivation.
Eventually it was the score of some lovely vintage flannel sheets at the Op shop that spurred me into action. I used the Sew Liberated Basic Pocket Pants pattern from the book ‘Growing up Sew Liberated’ which I’m delighted to find my library has. I know you don’t need pockets in pyjamas but the pattern was traced and ready to go and I was unlikely to use it for daytime pants. I deliberately made them a bit long and made two identical pairs. It puts off the time when meat and potatoes come around again.
Not to be outdone by his sister Lucas wanted a new coat, too. I have limited patterns in his size, this one is from the excellent book Sewing Clothes Kids Love. This is the largest size of the pattern, unfortunately. What will we do next year?
Made in Op shop scored wool with black denim contrast. He was deeply envious of the minky lining in his sister’s Mariluz so knew exactly what he wanted inside.
I had to create the facings from the pattern as it is supposed to be a reversible coat.
Whilst we’re at it he’s also wearing Farbenmix Dana shorts and carrying his Sew Liberated Messenger bag!
Pattern: Farbenmix/Studio Tantrum Silverlake
Embroidery: Urban threads
Winter is fast approaching in New Zealand. The wind has a chill and the sun no longer has the same strength. Time for a winter coat! I’ve always loved the lines of Mariluz and couldn’t wait to try it.
We rummaged in the Op shops until we came up with this gorgeous burnt orange felted wool blanket then headed to Spotlight to find some lining fabric. I told Elsa she could choose anything she wanted. I had to gulp when she picked out this dark purple minky but now it’s made up I think she was right.
The ribbon had to be hand dyed to match the intense purple of the lining but came out fine. A friend made the crochet flower – thanks Franzi!
Pattern: Farbenmix Mariluz
Embroideries: Huups Eastwind/Florafox